- Lowell S. Gustafson
- Professor of Political Science
- PhD, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1984.
- MA, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1981.
- BA, History, Philosophy, North Park College, 1977.
- 1986-present, Department of Political Science,
- 1984-1986, Lecturer, Department of Government and Foreign Affairs,
University of Virginia.
Teaching and Research Interests
- International Relations Theories
- International Political Economy
- Latin American Comparative Politics and International Relations
- Science and Politics
Research and Publications
- The Sovereignty Dispute over the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands,
Oxford University Press, New York, 1988.
- The Religious Challenge to the State, co-edited with
Matthew Moen, Temple University Press, Philadelphia, 1992.
- Economic Development under Democratic Regimes: Neoliberalism in
Latin America, Praeger Publishers, 1994.
- Thucydides' Theory of International Relations: A Lasting
Possession, Louisiana State University Press, 2000.
- Ancient Maya Gender Identity and Relations, co-edited with Amelia
M. Trevelyan, Westport: Bergin and Garvey, 2002.
Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty-First
co-edited with Satya Pattnayak, Edwin Mellen Press, New York, 2003.
- National and Human
Security Issues in Latin America: Democracies at Risk, co-edited with
Satya Pattnayak, Edwin Mellen Press, 2006
- "The Principle of Self-Determination and the Dispute about
Sovereignty over the Falkland Islands," Inter-American Economic Affairs,
Volume 37, Number 4, Spring 1984, pp. 81-99.
- "Is there any hope for Argentina?" The World and I,
July 1990, pp. 124-129.
- "Factionalism, Centralism, and Federalism," Publius:
The Journal of Federalism, Volume 20, Number 3, pp. 163-176.
- "Racismo y Humanismo en los Textos Sagrados Occidentales," Sociologia:
Perspectivas y Debates Numero 2, Ano 2005, (Universidad de Playa Ancha,
- “Big History and Big Politics,” Metanexus, May 30, 2013,
- Gustafson, L. (2014). “Big History.” International Schools Journal,
XXXIII(2), 35 - 46.
- Introduction to Big History,
Expositions, Vol 8, No 1 (2014)
- "Challenge and Accommodation in Religion and Politics,"
co-written with Matthew C. Moen, in The Religious Challenge to the State, Moen and
- "Church and State in Argentina," in The Religious
Challenge to the State, Moen and Gustafson, eds.
- "Introduction," in Economic Development under
Democratic Regimes, Gustafson, ed.
- "Restoring Argentina's Liberal Economic Development," in
Economic Development under Democratic Regimes, Gustafson, ed.
- Interdependence and World Order, in Community ,
Diversity, and a New World Order, edited by Kenneth W. Thompson, University Press of
America, Lanham, 1994.
- "Shared Gender Relations: Early Mesoamerica and the Maya," in Ancient
Maya Gender Identity and Relations.
- "Mother - Father Kings," in Ancient Maya Gender Identity and Relations.
Problems of Democratic Consolidation in Latin America," co-authored with
Satya R. Pattnayak, in Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in
Latin America in the Twenty-First Century.
American Democracy in Historical Perspective," co-authored with Satya R.
Pattnayak, in Economic Performance Under Democratic Regimes in Latin
America in the Twenty-First Century.
Abundance to Bust: The Long Argentine Crisis," in Economic Performance
Under Democratic Regimes in Latin America in the Twenty-First Century.
and Security in Latin America," in
National and Human Security
Issues in Latin America: Democracies at Risk
"Islamic Threats to Latin
American Democracy and Security," in National and Human Security Issues
in Latin America: Democracies at Risk.
"Neoconning America: The Deliberate Use of Deception" in Hussain Imtiaz,
Valdes Ugalde, Jose Luis, (Co-Editors.), By other means, for other ends:
Bush's re-election reassessed, Universidad Iberoamericana, 2005.
L. (2014). “From Particles to Politics.” Teaching and Researching Big History:
Exploring a New Scholarly Field (pp. 72 - 99). Volgograd, Russia: Uchitel
- Convergence and Challenge: Christian-Jewish Cultures and the
Legacies of Columbus, in Cofradia Internacional de Investigadores: Actas del
Congreso Beresit II, Toledo, Spain, 1993.
- William J. Jordan, Panama Odyssey, University of Texas
Press, Austin, 1984, in Political Science Quarterly, Winter 1984-85, Vol.99, No.4,
pp. 766, 767.
- Alfred H. Saunders, ed., The Public Sector in Latin America,
The University of Latin America at Austin, Austin, 1984, in South Eastern Latin
Americanist, Volume XXXI, Numbers 1-2, June-Sept. 1987.
- E. Bradford Burns, At War in Nicaragua: The Reagan Doctrine and
the Politics of Nostalgia, in the Social Science Quarterly, March 1988, Vol.
69, No.1, pp. 237, 238.
- Kenneth Rodman, Sanctity vs. Sovereignty: The United States and
the Nationalization of Natural Resource Investments, in Political Science Quarterly,
Summer 1989, Vol.104, No.2, pp. 355, 356.
- Hurst Hannum, Autonomy, Sovereignty, and Self-Determination,
University ofPennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1990, in Political Science Quarterly.
- "The Issue of Intervention in U.S. Policy Towards Latin
America" presented to the South West Social Science Association convention in San
Antonio, Texas, March 1986.
- "The Consolidation of Democracy in Argentina since 1983"
presented to the South East Latin American Studies Association convention in Merida,
Mexico, March 1987.
- "Power and Foreign Policy: The Case of Argentina"
presented to the International Studies Association, Washington, D.C., March 1987.
- "U.S. Foreign Trade Policy Making" presented to the
Northeast Political Science Association in Philadelphia, November 1987.
- "Argentina and the Middle East" presented to the Latin
American Studies Association convention in New Orleans, March 1988.
- "Democracy and Foreign Policy in Argentina" presented to
the International Studies Association convention in St. Louis, March 1988.
- "Revolution in Latin America and Liberation Theology",
presented to the American Political Science Association in Washington, D.C., September,
- "A Realist Approach to International Political Economy,"
presented to the International Studies Association conference, March 28April 1, 1989,
- "Media Reaction in Latin America towards the U.S. Invasion of
Panama," International Studies Association, Vancouver, March 19-23, 1991.
- "Privatization and Competition in Argentine Political
Economy," Latin American Studies Association, Washington, D.C., April 3-7, 1991.
- "Jewish Actors and Issues in Latin America,"
International Studies Association, Atlanta, Georgia, March 31 - April 4, 1992.
- "Conflict in Biblical Politics," Social Science
History Association, October 14-16, 1994, Atlanta.
- "Thucydides as a Pluralist," International Studies
Association, 21-25 February 1995, Chicago.
- "Latin American Perspectives on Sovereignty,"
International Studies Association, 21-25 February 1995, Chicago.
- Privatization and Oligarchy in Argentina, American
Political Science Association, 31 August - 3 September 1995, Chicago.
- Voegelin and Politics, Social Science History
Association, 16-19 November 1995, Chicago.
- "The Ancient Mayan City-State System," International
Relations Association, Minneapolis, March, 1998.
- "Ancestry and Political Legitimacy Among the Ancient Mayans," International
Studies Association, Vienna, September, 1998.
- "Gender and Politics Among the Ancient Maya," CISS / ISA Conference,
Paris, France, August 9-10, 1999.
"Gender. Lineage, and Legitimacy," III Mesa de Estudios de Genero: La
condicion de las mujeres y las relaciones de genero en Mesoamerica
prehispanica, 28 al 30 de abril 2003, Mexico City, Instituto Nacional de
"Outcomes Assessment," presentation at Roundtable on Assessment and
Political Science: Issues, Strategies, and Missing Links, American Political
Science Association Convention, Philadelphia, August 28 - 31, 2003.
"Argentine Political Instability," Latin American Studies Association
Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, October, 2004.
"From Racism to Humanism in Judeo-Christian Texts," Catholic Social
Teaching on Racism, Conference Sponsored by the Office of Mission
Effectiveness, Villanova University, November 19, 2004.
"Pan-Americanism and the Western Hemisphere Idea Updated," Latin
American Studies Association, Puerto Rico, March 2006.
"The U.S. Presidential Campaign of 2008 and the Future of U.S. Middle East
Policy: An Expectation of Continuity over Change," Academy of Philosophy and
Letters, Baltimore, May 31, 2008.
and a Canon for Human Culture," World Forum for the Dialogue of
Civilizations, Ottawa, Canada, June 13, 2008.
Up: The Origins of Language," Villanova Anthropology
Lecture Series, February 14, 2009
"Big History," World History Association Conference, Beijing, China, July
7th - July 10th, 2011.
in the Age of Human Politics," Global Future 2045, Moscow,
February 17 - 20, 2012.
Politics, (Big Politics)" International Big History Association meeting,
August 2012, Grand Rapids, MI
and Religion, (Big Religion)," International Big History Association
meeting, August 2012, Grand Rapids, MI
the Liberal Arts, International Big History Association meeting, August,
- Chair, "U.S. Policy in the Third World," North East
International Studies Association, Providence, Rhode Island, November 10-13, 1988.
- Chair, "Realism: Classical Critiques and Current
Applications," International Studies Association, London, March 28 - April 1, 1989.
- Chair and Discussant, "Critical Issues in International
Political Economy," North East International Studies Association, Providence, Rhode
Island, November 15-17, 1990.
- Chair, "Economic Development Under Democratic Regimes",
Latin American Studies Association, Washington, D.C., April 4-6, 1991.
- Chair and Discussant, International and Domestic
Constraints: North and South, Northeast International Studies Association, Newark,
11-13 November 1994.
- Chair, Religion and Political Conflict, Social Science
History Association, 16-19 November 1995, Chicago.
- Chair, "Thucydides as an Anti-realist," International
Studies Association, Chicago, 21-25 February 1995.
- Invited participant of Carnegie Council on Ethics and
International Affairs' "Teaching Ethics and International
Affairs", Yale University, New Haven,
Connecticut, June 11-17, 1989.
- Invited participant, "Edmund Burke and Liberty," Liberty
Fund Colloquium, Houston, Texas, December 6-8, 1990.
- Invited participant, "Latin American Constitutionalism,"
Liberty Fund Colloquium, San Antonio, Texas,
NEH Summer Institute, "The Maya World," Guatemala and Chiapas.
- 1995 Summer Seminar, Democracy and Economic Development in
Latin America, University of California,
Santa Barbara, Director: David Rock.
- 1993 Fulbright Summer "South America Today" program in
Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and Colombia.
- 1989-90 National Endowment for the Humanities, research grant.
- 1986 Fulbright Summer Research Grant.
- 1983-1984 Thomas Jefferson Fellowship of the Ivy Foundation.
- 1983-1984, Governor's Fellowship, University of Virginia.
Service to the University
- Organizer, 2013-14 Lecture Series on "Beginnings"
- Associate Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Arts and
Sciences, 2010 - 2012
- Faculty Advisor,
Student trip to Tunisia, March 2012
- Associate Dean of Social Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, 2008 -
trip to Jordan and Egypt, 2009/10
- Faculty Advisor,
Student trip to Egypt and Jordan, 2009
- Faculty Advisor,
Student trip to Egypt and
Program in Liberal Studies, 2005 - 2007
- Organizer, 2005 - 08 annual
Anthropology Lecture Series
- Chair, Faculty Congress, 1997-99;
- Chair, Faculty Task Force, Institutional Self-Study for Middle States Association
- Faculty member, University Senate, 1997-99.
- Faculty member, Executive Committee, University Senate, 1997-98.
- Member, Stewardship Committee, VP Gary Fenner, Chair, 1998.
- Member, Core Curriculum Social Science Committee, 1992-1995.
- Member, College Strategic Planning Committee, 1996-present.
- Member, Part-Time Faculty Committee, 1995-96.
- Member, Villanova Quality Initiative Committee on Awards and
- Elected Member Representing the College of Arts and Sciences,
Faculty Senate, 1990-96.
- Member, General Arts Committee, Fall Semester, 1990.
- Member, Outcomes Committee, Middle Atlantic Self-Study, 1989-90.
- Discussion Leader, Freshmen Orientation Week 1990, 1991, 1992,
Service to the Department
of Political Science
- Department Chair, 2007 - 2008.
- Acting Department Chair, Spring 2007
- Chair, Department Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2003 - 2005.
- Department Chair, 1993-2001.
- Chair, Graduate Committee, 1990-93.
- Chair, Comparatiave Politics/Chinese Politics Search Committee,
- Chair, National Security Position Search Committee, 1989-90.
- Member, Faculty Evaluation Committee, 1990, 1991, 1992,
- Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 1988-89.
Service to Profession
- Vice-President, International Big History Association; 2014 – present,
- Secretary, International Big History Association; 2010 – 2014,
- Member, Middle States Accreditation Team, Mercy College, New York,
- Secretary-Treasurer, Academy of Philosophy and Letters,
2008 - 2012
- Communications Director, Interdisciplinary Comparative Studies
Section, International Studies Association, 1997-99.
- Head of Religion Section, Social Science History Association,
- President, Northeast International Studies Association (NEISA),
- Council Member, International Political Economy Section,
International Studies Association (ISA), 1989-92.
- Member, ISA, Latin American Studies Association (LASA), American
Political Science Association (APSA).
- Program Chair, 1989 NEISA conference, Philadelphia.
Service to the Community
- "Science and Liberal Education: Creating a Human Story,"
Glaxo Smith Kline Analytical Chemistry Symposium, June 11, 2008,
- Guest Lecture, (March 19, 2009 - Present). My lecture on the
Origins of Language has had over 40,000 hits. The lecture is